Monday, July 2, 2012

Hand Crocheted Lace

The blessing of our grand daughter was Sunday and her momma was beginning to panick. I hadn't started the white dress yet, which is a family tradition, and it was Friday. That is I hadn't started it until that evening when with the dress cut out and the sewing machine humming I had put put together the bodice and was  completing the sleeves. Then our oldest daughter, Toni, arrived at 7:30 with the lace.

One look and I knew I had to start over. The white white fabric I'd chose wasn't going to work with her creamy white vintage style lace. Plus, the fabric was the wrong texture. 
Hesitant as to which direction our middle dauther, the mother of the child, wan't to go, we headed on ove to her house.  The vote was unanimus that the lace stayed and the partially sewn dress went.  Who could say no to not using the gorgeous lace that took hours and hours of labor.

The skirt circumfrance is 70 inches and each sleeve is 11 inches around. That is 90 inches of  hand crocheted lace. WOW!! 
Fortunately, I had some white fabric that was just right and I began cutting once more. Saturday afternoon I had completed the dress.
 Then it acquired a "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" sydrome and I thought we just had to have some lace for around the neck. Something simple, so Toni dutifully began rapidly crocheting.

Then she hussled off under the Willow tree spreading out three towels for pinning the 92 inches of lace.
The hot dry wind made short work of the blocking project and when she came back in. I wanted a flower and a leaf. I told you it was a "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" sydrome. (For those of you who are wondering, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie is a children's book where a little boy gives an mouse a cookie and then he wants a glass of milk to go with it and then he wants.....and it goes on and on.

 But I couldn't help it. The dress was telling me just what it needed and it wanted lace around the neck and a flower too. LOL

So if you volunteer to make me lace, beware, I might want more.

No comments:

Post a Comment